Chia seeds have sort of come onto the scene as a new trendy healthy option to add into your diet. Well, these little seeds aren't new. In fact, they've been around for hundreds of years. But it's great that they are gaining popularity because they pack a lot of nutritional benefits. If you don't already use them, consider stopping at a health food store and picking some up. Check out their awesome benefits and tips for using them below.
- High in omega-3 fatty acids which helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Good source of protein. They contain all 8 essential amino acids.
- Have a higher concentration of omega-3s than flax seeds.
- Rich in antioxidants which helps protect and repair cells from free radical damage.
- High in fiber which helps cleanse our intestines, makes us feel full and helps slow the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream.
- High in calcium, magnesium, copper, niacin, zinc, manganese, iron and molybdenum -- all nutrients that help our bodies function optimally.
- Add to smoothies and shakes.
- Take advantage that they become gel-like when in contact with liquid and make pudding.
- Add to homemade baked goods.
- Sprinkle on salads.
- Sprout them and add to salads or sandwiches.
- Use as a thickener for meatballs or meatloafs.
- Mix into spreads like hummus.